Delta Premium Economy review

So on my recent trip to Greece, I was able to fly the new Delta Premium Economy class from Detroit to Amsterdam. I had the experience of flying in a brand new Airbus A350 and on the return trip I was on the Boeing Dreamliner. Both experiences were different so I will give some details of both.

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked down to my gate to see a very shiny and obviously brand new plane. I had just read news articles about the Airbus 350 and to be one of the first passengers was exciting. Boarding for Premium economy was just after Business Class. It was sandwiched in between First class and Delta Comfort.

 

The first thing you notice is that the seat is large and has dividers that hold your tv and tray. Now I was in the first row so it may not be the same in the other rows. But the seat was comfortable with a generous recline and a foot and leg rest that came up as well. It wasn't a lay flat, but it was definitely more comfortable than regular economy.

Now you get a menu for food, reminiscent of first class. It doesn't have a lot of options but the food was great and well made. Complimentary drinks were available. I was also given a little bag with ear plugs, sleep mask, headphones, tooth brush and tooth paste, just like in first class. The airline encourages people to take the bag home. It is re-usable.


Now the return flight on the Boeing had some differences which I did not like as much. The leg rest that came up also had a foot rest that was set at 90 degrees and it kept my leg bent in an awkward position. This was not present on the Airbus. The one beautiful thing about the Dreamliner is it's amazing windows. You click a dial and the windows darken or lighten. Unfortunately everyone had their window open wide so it was definitely hard to sleep.

Overall the Delta Premium Economy experience is like first class lite. You get expedited boarding, a bigger menu, some creature comforts and a much more comfortable seat. For me it was about $300 more to fly in that class as opposed to Delta Comfort so it wasn't too hard to buy up. It seems this is a new class mainly on flights to Europe. I really enjoyed using it and I would highly recommend it to you if it is available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rylo Camera - is it worth it?

Greece - A Whirlwind Vacation